Agenda Day 1
9:15 am - 9:45 am HUMAN RIGHTS AND THE FUTURE OF AIChristina Blacklaws - Vice President The Law Society of England and Wales
Focus on how AI is changing the nature of cases we are
dealing with as solicitors
• Assessing the significance of algorithms and AI on the
principles of digital rights, digital identity and the criminal
• Reflections from the Law Society’s Public Policy Forum on
algorithms and the justice system
Christina BlacklawsVice President
The Law Society of England and Wales
9:45 am - 10:15 am LEGAL A.I. – UNLOCKING FULL POTENTIAL OF DATARein Graat - MD, General Counsel - APAC ING
Ron Faessen - Customer Lead ING
PACE – the ING way of innovating
• Problem: RWA accuracy can be addressed using contractual data
• Solution: Algorithm can extract legal data out of PDF,
compare with ING systems and identify user-based reports
• Uniqueness algorithm: Quickly trained with limited samples
• MVP supported by Innovation Council and taken into production
• Crawl: Get the data right at the lowest possible level
• Walk: Increase operational control e.g. full audit trail to dox in
• Run: Deepen insights and innovative services using machine/
• Fly: Combine in- and external sources to offer best financial
services on ING Platform
Rein GraatMD, General Counsel - APAC
Ron FaessenCustomer Lead
10:45 am - 11:15 am FACTORS ALTERING TRADITIONAL BILLING MODELSKaryn Harty - Partner McCann Fitzgerald
Overview of the US picture where GCs are forcing change
from the billable hour
• Alternative ways of measuring value
• Proposals for new pricing models in a world without the
11:15 am - 11:45 am INNOVATION CASE STUDY – PRACTICE INNOVATION AND AI AT WHITE & CASEAlicia Hardy - Director of Professional Support, London White & Case
Where have we been on our journey so far, what are the
drivers for adopting legal AI and how is that changing?
• What are the challenges that we have and are facing and
how are we addressing them?
• Where have we been successful and why do we think that is,
and the opposite?
• What are we expecting to need to focus on over the next six
to 12 months?
Alicia HardyDirector of Professional Support, London
White & Case
1:55 pm - 2:25 pm CHANGES: TURN AND FACE THE STRANGE...Joanne Frears - Solicitor Lionshead Law
With an obvious reference to a master of adaptation, Joanne
Frears will look at the bigger picture of scoping AI and whether
AI really will replace lawyers. She will consider:
• What do you think AI is? From chatbots to AV via machine learning and the internet of things, AI is already all around
us sifting big data, monitoring our health & habits and reforming
• What does your firm want AI for? If you want it to read
contracts you are probably missing the point. That’s a bit like
discovering electricity and then only ever using it to animate
the legs of dead frogs!
• Just how much cleverer is AI than the combined IQ of your
board? Yes, it’s cleverer than you, so are it’s slowest
programmers. It probably has better social skills than your
litigation department and undoubtedly a better line in
questioning than your due diligence teams.
• How do you go about spec’ing, procuring and maintaining
a system that is faster, better, cleverer than your staff? So
how are you going to imagine how it can be used? Planning
and flexibility are key, so are clear parameters and operations.
• Who will AI replace at your firm - here’s a clue, “Turn and face
the strange, changes. there’s going to have to be a different man.”!
• Does any of this matter when the clients’ interests come first?
• Will lawyers only be left to deal with the Minority Report?
1:25 pm - 1:55 pm LEGAL AI: SETTING EXPECTATIONS & ENGAGING THE BOARDJonathan Patterson - Managing Director & Head of Development DWF
Getting the story straight on ROI
• Gaining buy-in at Board level and with senior sponsors
• Building momentum – little and often or big bang?
Jonathan PattersonManaging Director & Head of Development
2:25 pm - 2:55 pm FUTURE CHALLENGE: WHAT DOES THE AI-ENABLED LEGAL SERVICE TEAM OF THE FUTURE LOOK LIKE?Mr Jeffrey Brandt - Chief Information Officer and Editor Jackson Kelly PLLC and Pinhawk
Grainne Bryan - CEO, Legal Technology Solutions McCann Fitzgerald
The changing legal landscape is driving innovation in legal
service delivery and AI tools will be a big part of that. Just as
eDiscovery has fundamentally transformed the way complex
litigation support is performed, over the next decade, artificial
intelligence will transform transactional and advisory practice
teams. Traditional players will be reduced in number and shift
their focus while new players (e.g., data scientists, linguists, and
AI dev/ops specialists) will become critical participants. This
session will use aspects of design thinking and apply those
models to designing the AI-enabled legal service team of the
future, helping ensure firms achieve a return on their AI
Mr Jeffrey BrandtChief Information Officer and Editor
Jackson Kelly PLLC and Pinhawk
Grainne BryanCEO, Legal Technology Solutions
3:55 pm - 4:25 pm LAWYERS, THE FUTURE IS NOW! – CREATING SCALABILITY AND NEW MARKETS BY INNOVATION AND LEGAL TECHJeroen De Man - Advocaat De Groote De Man
SaaP, Service as a product, a must have in the legal business
• NPS and customer centricity are key in an evolving online
• Creating scalability by building/investing in legal tools. A
unified European legal market opens opportunities for every
• Small law firms need to consolidate. Mid-cap and big
associations need to think as companies/entrepreneurs with
a long term vision and means to invest in future technology
• “Automatization in a first phase to automate procedures that
are easy to automate”
Jeroen De ManAdvocaat
De Groote De Man
4:55 pm - 5:25 pm ADDING VALUE THE SOLV WAYMenno Weij - Partner Solv
Menno says: it is all about adding value to the client. Quality
isn’t, that is a permission to play. That is why we split high
end from low end. High end is focus SOLV, low end is focus
VraagHugo (our platform) where we use technology to serve
that market. The current platform (creating your own
customized agreements yourselves) is just the beginning.
One of our goals is facilitating corporates with an internal
platform with their own contracts to support both legal and sales.